Tragedy struck Mandlethu Primary School in Tsakane on Tuesday, 6 February 2024, when a grade-one learner passed away during school hours. It’s believed the learner died after eating biscuits from a nearby spaza shop. This deeply saddened Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane.
The learner began feeling unwell in class just before the 11:00 break and started vomiting shortly after. Emergency services were called immediately, and the learner’s parents were contacted to come to the school. Unfortunately, despite the efforts of paramedics, the learner was declared dead upon their arrival.
According to the parents, the child had eaten biscuits purchased from a nearby spaza shop owned by foreign nationals. The police are investigating the circumstances surrounding this tragic event.
On Wednesday, February 7, 2024, the Psycho-Social Care Unit provided trauma care and counselling to those affected.
“We are deeply sorry for this tragic incident. We urge parents to be cautious about the food their children consume,” said MEC Chiloane. “We call upon the government and law enforcement to enforce stricter regulations regarding the products sold in Spaza Shops. Our heartfelt condolences go out to the family and the entire school community,” MEC Chiloane added.
By Sbongile Sokela