Thousands of successful Gauteng job seekers assembled at the Orlando Stadium in Soweto to receive their acceptance letters as part of the Nasi iSpani Mass Recruitment Programme.
The programme, launched on June 16, 2023, aims to address unemployment and promote job opportunities available within the Gauteng Provincial Government (GPG).
The GPG has recruited and trained 6000 crime prevention wardens to help in the fight against crime and lawlessness and appointed 40 000 young people as part of the Presidential Youth Employment Initiative (PYEI).
Introduced in 2020, PYEI seeks to coordinate, accelerate and enhance existing programmes while driving innovation and creating pathways to earning for young people at scale.
The provincial government has made a commitment to avail job opportunities until July 2024 to address unemployment, and among these was the recruitment of 6 000 young people to be trained as solar technicians.
This is in partnership with the Manufacturing, Engineering, and Related Services Sector Education and Training Authority (merSETA), announced in May 2023. Training starts next month at different higher learning institutions, and trainees will receive a stipulated stipend depending on their level of education.
Solar Technician trainee, Prudence Rocolo from Protea South, said she would not contain her excitement when she received an SMS from the department.
“I felt relieved to be part of the programme and look forward to it. The premier’s speech gave us hope.”
PYEI beneficiary Thandiwe Mosikili said she became part of the programme when COVID-19 hit the world as a youth brigade, assisting with school screening.
“It was a lovely journey, but it was challenging because we lost children, parents and teachers. In November 2020, the contract ended, but it was renewed in December of that year, and then I was absorbed through that contract.
“I have learned a lot in this journey. I ended up teaching with the savings I made through the programme. I am graduating next year,” said Thandiwe.
She thanked President Cyril Ramaphosa and Premier Panyaza Lesufi for introducing this programme. She urged others not to lose hope and to be patient.
Crime Prevention Warden Cleo Mowers said she was doing my Grade 12 when the programme was announced in 2022.
“I wanted to study Arts and tried applying to different colleges, but I could not get in due to financial constraints.
“I then thought I should give the programme a shot because one can never know when it is their time. Getting a call that I had been accepted to be part of the crime prevention programme changed my life,” said the ecstatic 20-year-old.
“I am to be part of the programme. To the youth at home, do not lose hope, try to look out for opportunities out there and stop relying on parents all the time,” she added.
By Thembisa Shologu